The International Pectinid Workshop (IPW) is a biennial event that draws scallop scientists and marine researchers from around the world. The 19th and 20th IPWs were hosted by Brazil and Ireland respectively. The United States is hosting the 21st IPW in Portland, Maine at the Holiday Inn by the Bay. The workshop begins April 19, 2017 and runs through April 25, 2017. The New England Fishery Management Council is a sponsor.
The agenda is broken down into the following Theme Sessions:
- Marine protected areas and their role in resource management
- Scallop aquaculture and seeding efforts
- Understanding and managing disease in scallop populations
- Biotoxins, pollution, and contamination
- Scallop fisheries management strategies — a global perspective
- Ecology and general biology
- Physiology and reproduction
- Bycatch and incidental mortality in scallop fisheries
- Scallops in a changing environment — addressing climate change
The workshop also is featuring a special Scallop Fishing Industry Forum Day on Friday, April 21 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. to discuss “current concerns, challenges, and ideas related to scallop fisheries and resource management strategies.” A trade show, poster session, and social hour are part of the forum event. Attendance is free for industry members but advance registration is required.